Sparks from welding at a saltwater disposal site in Mountrail County resulted in a fire and brine spill, the North Dakota Oil and Gas Division reported on Wednesday.
The incident took place Monday morning at a Basic Energy Services disposal site about 12 miles north of Stanley. The agency reports that 3,500 barrels of brine spilled, equal to 147,000 gallons. In addition, 200 barrels -- or 8,400 gallons -- of oil spilled. All fluids were contained on the site.
Basic Energy Services did not immediately return a request for comment. The Oil and Gas Division said an inspector has been to the site and is monitoring cleanup efforts.