Gov. Doug Burgum asked President Donald Trump on Friday to issue a disaster declaration for widespread spring flooding in North Dakota.
Burgum's office said flooding has caused an estimated $40 million-plus in damage in roads and other public infrastructure in North Dakota. The request follows Burgum's executive order in April declaring a statewide flood emergency.
In a letter, Burgum asked Trump to declare a major disaster for March 2 to April 25, when the Red River dropped below major flood stage in Pembina. The request includes 21 counties.
The governor says river and overland flooding this spring caused significant damage to roads, bridges and culverts in North Dakota counties already burdened by recovery costs from spring and fall flooding last year.
If granted, a presidential declaration would unlock Federal Emergency Management Agency public assistance to help cities, counties and townships pay for the costs of repairing roads and other infrastructure damaged by flooding.
Trump and FEMA granted Burgum’s request for a presidential disaster declaration last June in response to 2019 spring flooding in 19 North Dakota counties.
Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
Be the first to know
Get local news delivered to your inbox!