Entrance fees raised at Theodore Roosevelt National Park (copy)

Entrance fees raised at Theodore Roosevelt National Park (copy)

{{featured_button_text}}
Buffalo at Theodore Roosevelt National Park

Buffalo are a popular feature at Theodore Roosevelt National Park.

Theodore Roosevelt National Park will raise its entrance fees to provide additional funding for infrastructure and maintenance.

Effective June 1, entrance fees will be $25 per car or $20 per motorcycle. An annual park pass will cost $45. The cost of the annual America the Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Annual Pass and Lifetime Senior Pass will remain $80.

In Theodore Roosevelt National Park, at least 80 per cent of entrance fees stay in the park. The other 20 percent of entrance fee revenue is shared with other national parks which do not collect fees. Fort Union Trading Post National Historic Site near Williston and Knife River Indian Villages National Historic Site near Stanton are among the parks that do not charge entrance fees.  

“We are committed to providing a high-quality visitor experience,” said Wendy Hart Ross, superintendent of the North Dakota National Parks. “Fee monies have enabled us to acquire a temporary visitor contact station in the North Unit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park, install roadside interpretive exhibits in all units of Theodore Roosevelt National Park, improve audio visual accessibility for the park film at Knife River Indian Villages National Historic Site, and provide an all-weather access road to Fort Union Trading Post National Historic Site. Without recreational fee funds, we would not be able to provide these and other improvements for our visitors.”

National parks have experienced record breaking visitation, with more than 1.5 billion visitors in the past five years. The combination of aging infrastructure and increased visitation has put a strain on park roads, bridges, campgrounds, water lines, bathrooms and other visitor facilities and led to a $11.6 billion deferred maintenance backlog nationwide.

Entrance fees collected in fiscal year 2016 by the National Park Service totaled $199.9 million The NPS estimates that, once fully implemented, the new fee structure will increase annual entrance fee revenue by about $60 million.

The additional entrance fee revenue at Theodore Roosevelt National Park will fund the rehabilitation of the historic Peaceful Valley Ranch, campground restroom upgrades and new signs.

Theodore Roosevelt National Park has had an entrance fee since its establishment in 1947. The current rate of $20 per vehicle or $15 per motorcycle has been in effect since 2017. The park is one of 117 National Park Service sites that charge an entrance fee; the other 300 national parks will remain free to enter. 

0
0
0
0
0

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News