Nicolas Tanner Yellowbird is charged with felony endangering by fire after police said he started fires early Tuesday in a bathroom of the Radisson Hotel in downtown Bismarck.
Bismarck police were called to the Radisson, 605 E. Broadway Ave., about 3:30 a.m. Tuesday for a report of smoke coming from the main-floor bathroom, said Bismarck Police Sgt. Mark Buschena.
Officers opened the door and a thick wall of smoke billowed out, Buschena said. Officers found fire had been started in three locations of the bathroom: a roll of toilet paper smoldering near the bathroom entrance, a fire in the middle of the bathroom and debris on fire inside of a garbage can, according to a court affidavit.
Police ordered a man inside the bathroom to exit and later arrested him in connection with the incident. He was identified as Yellowbird, 35, of Garrison.
The hotel had 128 rooms occupied at the time of the incident, court records say. The Class B felony charge against Yellowbird accuses him of recklessly putting those hotel guests in danger.