{{featured_button_text}}

After firefighters extinguished two separate cooking fires on Wednesday in Bismarck, the fire marshal warned residents to stay in the kitchen when the oven is on.

The first incident was determined to be accidental when the occupant of an apartment building on the 400 block of South Washington Street forgot that a pizza box had been left in the oven when he turned it on in the morning.

A fire crew responded after the 6:37 a.m. call was made from the two-story structure. The fire was put out within the oven.

A second oven fire in an apartment on the 2100 block of Xavier Street also was determined to be accidental. The tenant reported storing cookware and ice cube trays inside the oven and forgot to remove them before starting it.

A fire crew responded after a call was made at about 11:21 a.m. Firefighters  found light smoke conditions in an apartment unit and evidence of a fire that had been contained within the oven. 

"Avoid using the interior of your oven as a storage space for any sort of combustible materials," said Owen Fitzsimmons, fire marshal with the Bismarck Fire Department.

In an unrelated incident, firefighters responded to a report made at about 2:06 p.m. of smoke coming from an electrical outlet in a house on the 1400 block of North 16th Street.

The fire crew shut off power at the breaker panel and advised the homeowner to leave the electrical circuit off until the outlet can be checked by a licensed electrician. The cause of the fire was classified as accidental.

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.
0
2
0
1
0