Subscribe for 33¢ / day

Bismarck Police blocked a section of South Washington Street between Bowen and Indiana avenues on Wednesday afternoon.

A man was taken into custody Wednesday afternoon after barricading himself in a South Washington Street apartment following a domestic incident.

According to the Bismarck Police Department, a “less than lethal” round was fired at the man during the 45-minute standoff, and he was later taken to a local hospital to be treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

The man was suicidal and, according to a witness, alcohol may have played a factor in the incident.

“I was taking out the trash and as I was walking back to my apartment, I saw my neighbor sitting on the steps crying,” said Sadie Pollock, who lives next door to the couple involved in the domestic dispute. “I asked her if she was OK, and she said ‘no.’ Her husband came out with a small gun in his pocket, a knife in one hand and a bottle of vodka in the other.”

Pollock said she immediately went inside her apartment, which is adjacent to the couple’s residence, and called the police.

The couple attempted to drive off while the cops were en route, she said.

“They got in their car and started driving in the parking lot. (He) floored it and hit the car in front of him,” Pollock said. “Then the cops showed up and told him to get down, and he didn’t listen, so they tased him.”

Pollock said the man somehow managed to get back inside his apartment after being tased. Police told Pollock to leave her apartment, so she went and stood across the street by a fence.

Police, with guns drawn, surrounded the apartment building, 415 S. Washington St. Pollock said she heard a shot fired and, soon thereafter, saw the man enter the ambulance, wearing handcuffs.

According to police, the man’s name is not being released until he is formally charged.

The 400 block of South Washington Street was blocked off, and traffic redirected, during the standoff.

(Reach Cheryl McCormack at 701-250-8264 or​


General Assignment Reporter