MEDORA − The Bismarck Tribune was named “Best of the Dakotas” on Saturday in competition among large daily newspapers in North Dakota and South Dakota.
The Tribune also was the first-place winner in the general excellence category of the North Dakota Newspaper Association’s annual Better Newspaper Contest.
The awards were presented during a joint convention of North Dakota and South Dakota newspaper associations held in Medora.
The Tribune also received a first-place award for overall design excellence, second place for best website, second place for editorial page and honorable mention for special news section.
Several staff members received awards for work published in 2018:
• Mike McCleary received first place for picture story, first place for news photo and third place for outdoor recreation photo.
• Jack Dura received first place for feature photo, first place for government series and second place for feature series.
• Amy Dalrymple received first place for spot news, third place for reporting series and honorable mention for feature reporting.
• Dave Selvig received second place for sports page and second place for sports reporting.
• Tom Stromme received third place awards for pictorial photo, agricultural photo and spot news photo.
• Blair Emerson received third place for reporting.
• Steve Wallick received an honorable mention for editorial.
• Lauren Donovan received an honorable mention for government reporting.
• Lisa Weisz won first place for special ad section and honorable mention for special ad section.
• Doug Ding won first place for home/gardening ad.
• Gene Holwegner won first place for apparel ad and entertainment/liquor ad, third place for use of color and honorable mention for small space ad.
• Lisa Doll won first place for small space ad.
• Scott Volkert won first place and honorable mention for outdoor/sports ads.
• Cassidy Kraft won second place for promotion of community, third place for promotion of newspaper readership and third place for vehicle ad.
• Cindy Jacob won second place for agricultural ad.
• Volkert and Jacob received third place for apparel ad.
• Jeannie Strandemo received third place for signature page and third place for promotion of community.
• Rachel Schumaier received third place for ad series.
• Duane Crabbe received third place for single ad.
• Connie Haluzak received third place for promotion of newspaper advertising.