{{featured_button_text}}

A Bismarck man charged with two felonies for allegedly sexually assaulting a juvenile girl last year pleaded guilty Tuesday to two misdemeanors and will have to register as a sex offender.

Jonathan Brungard, 21, also will spend two years on supervised probation. He pleaded guilty to misdemeanor corruption of a minor and misdemeanor sexual assault under the terms of a plea agreement.

He was charged in December 2018 after Burleigh County Sheriff’s Department deputies responded to a Bismarck hospital for a report of sexual assault. A girl told police she was visiting a friend at a Bismarck residence and that Brungard sexually assaulted her after her friend went to bed.

The plea agreement had been discussed with the girl, who was depressed and anxious about the trial and had difficulty remembering details of the incident, Assistant Burleigh County State’s Attorney Marina Spahr said.

“It was definitely not consensual, but it may not have risen to the level of force,” Spahr said.

Brungard’s attorney, Lloyd Suhr, said the amended charges reflect what his client had admitted. Suhr called the resolution “an appropriate disposition.”

South Central District Judge Thomas Schneider sentenced Brungard to consecutive one-year sentences with credit for 283 days served on each. The remaining 82 days on each count were suspended and would be served consecutively if Brungard were to violate the terms of his probation.

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Reach Travis Svihovec at 701-250-8260 or Travis.Svihovec@bismarcktribune.com

0
0
1
0
7