Skip to main contentSkip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.

Bismarck man charged with attempted murder

Terry Link

Terry Link of Bismarck appeared in district court on Monday on felony charges of attempted murder, interfering with an emergency phone call and resisting arrest.

BISMARCK, N.D. -- Police say an altercation over the title to a pickup appears to have sent a man into a murderous rage when his wife refused to give it to him.

Police arrested a Bismarck man Sunday for attempted murder after he was reportedly trying to strangle his wife, with whom he is in divorce proceedings.

Terry Link, 54, was charged Monday with attempted murder, interference with telephone during an emergency call and preventing arrest, all felonies.

He appeared before Judge Cynthia Feland on Monday, and bond was set at $250,000 cash-only. He was ordered to have no contact with his wife and may not go within 100 yards of her residence or workplace.

The altercation occurred at 7:55 p.m. at the 1900 block of Bay Hill loop. The Bismarck Police Department responded to a call of an assault in progress at 8:04 p.m.

According to the affidavit, Link and his wife were in a verbal argument over possession of a vehicle title, which escalated into a physical altercation.

Link pushed his wife onto the bed and elbowed her in the head before attempting to strangle her with his hands and arm, according to Sgt. Mark Buschena.

According to the affidavit, he let her up when she told him that he could have the title.

At that time, she allegedly grabbed a phone and told her husband she would call the police, but Link allegedly took the phone from her.

He then hit her repeatedly with his elbow and grabbed her neck with his hands, at which time she nearly lost consciousness and her airway was obstructed, Buschena said.

The couple’s daughter called 911 and attempted to intervene unsuccessfully before remaining in the kitchen to prevent Link from grabbing a knife, according to the affidavit.

When the daughter left the kitchen to let in the officers, Link reportedly grabbed a serrated knife from a kitchen drawer and proceeded to place the knife to his wife’s throat and pulled her to the floor.

When the officers entered, he had his arm around her neck and he was holding the knife in the air.

One of the officers punched Link in the face when he refused to let go of the woman. Officers grabbed Link’s arms and removed them from the woman, Buschena said.

The officers reported using significant force to handcuff Link.

In an interview, Link admitted to holding his wife on the ground and grabbing the knife to intimidate her because he was upset about the vehicle and other belongings she wanted to keep, according to the affidavit.

Link was taken to the Burleigh County Detention Center.

Reach reporter Karee Magee at 701-250-8251 or


Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News