25 Years Ago–1993

The Mandan Chiefs won top honors at the State Class AA Legion baseball tournament held last weekend in Devils Lake. The win gave the Chiefs their third title within four years. This year’s title is dedicated to the late “Bosh” Froehlich, Mandan’s longtime Chiefs fan and supporter.

The Chiefs won their first two games, nipping Devils Lake, 2-1, before pouncing on Grand Forks, 9-1. In game three, the Chiefs fell, 3-1, to Jamestown, which was then guaranteed a spot in the championship game.

Next in line — Minot, the only team between Mandan and a shot at the title. The outcome didn’t look good in the ninth inning, with two outs and the Chiefs trailing, 14-10, but Mandan caught fire with a five-run rally, ending with Aron Amundson slamming a home run to win the game, 15-14, advancing the Chiefs to the championship round.

To win the title, Mandan had to beat Jamestown in two consecutive games. In game one, the Chiefs triumphed, 11-10, aided by Mike LaMont’s grand slam and seven RBIs. In game two, the Chiefs won the championship title, 11-4, after 15-year-old pitcher T. J. McFarland threw the final out.

Other team members are Madison Bornemann, Rich Haff, Jeff Heidt, Mike Walker, Keith Walters, Cory Bragg, Brandon Cermak, Brad Voigt, Jon Glaser, Jerome Williams, Eric Gerhart, Chad Kruckenberg, Steve Horner, Jene Sobolik and tournament MVP, pitcher Shannon Holbrook, who pitched 18 innings in the tournament. Head coach is Owen Stockdill, completing his fourth year with the Chiefs.

Funeral this week:

Herbert J. McCann, 75, Mandan; raised, educated in Moorhead, Minn., and Mandan. A graduate of Mandan High School. Married Lois McGrath in 1945. Began work at Mandan Post Office in 1934, retiring in 1972 as assistant postmaster. A veteran of the Army Air Corps, stationed at Dayton, Ohio. Member of the Knights of Columbus, held the office of grand knight. Member of Christ the King Church, serving as an usher since its opening in the late 1950s. Survivors include five brothers, four sisters and their families.

Temperatures recorded Tuesday, Aug. 17: a high of 82 degrees; 63 degrees for the low.

50 Years Ago–1968

Students and parents of the St. Anthony parish have said goodbye to the 58-year-old St. Anthony Catholic School and its sister teachers. A farewell program was presented, with Mrs. Louis Tokach in charge of arrangements for the reception and Mrs. Eddie Ziniel in charge of the program telling the history of the school. Father Florian Fairbanks gave the farewell address. Participating in the program was the last graduating eighth-grade class of the school: Dennis Urlacher, Joyce Steckler, Ronald Paul, Cynthia Miller, Jerry Tokach and Lucinda Leingang.

Receiving special honors were the sisters who had taught at the school and who are now being recalled to the Felician Order in Chicago for reassignment. They are Sister Richard, Sister Deborah and Sister Herman Joseph.

The Salvation Army Family Service Store has opened at 109 First Ave. N.W., next to Breen’s Floral. Sgt. Ruby Hoffman is the manager. Anyone wishing to donate clothing may call for pickup, which will be on Saturdays.

The Mandan Lions Club held installation of officers for the new year. Outgoing president Erv Stark installed the new officers, including new president Jim Stine. Others installed were first vice president, Robert Schulte; second vice president, Herb Simmons; third vice president, Donald Hertz; treasurer, Herman Ciavarella; secretary, Peter Albrecht; tail twister, Lewis Shaw; and lion tamer, Erv Stark.

75 Years Ago–1943

The first group of soldiers sent by the Army to aid in the North Dakota harvest, 250 men and officers, arrived in Fargo on Sunday. The men came in a motor convoy of trucks and jeeps from a Sioux Falls, S.D., camp. Censorship regulations prevent the announcement of when the remainder of the expected 5,000 troops will arrive. However, they are likely to proceed directly to North Dakota towns and villages in groups of 200.

Farmers will pay the U.S. Treasury at the rate of 60 cents per hour per man for shocking services during the harvest. Threshing wages have not been determined. However, in either case, the soldiers do not receive the money.

George Kirchmeier has delivered the first load of barley of the 1943 crop to the Occident Elevator at New Salem. It weighed 48 pounds to the bushel and was of fine color, according to manager A.C Tolzman.

You have free articles remaining.

Become a Member

Armed Forces news:

“Aviation Cadets Ernest Lidstrom Jr. and Arthur Brazda arrived in Mandan this week from Minot, where they have completed another phase in their pilot training. Until receiving new orders, the men will visit with their parents, Deputy Sheriff and Mrs. E.O. Lidstrom and Mr. and Mrs. A.S. Brazda.

“Staff Sgt. and Mrs. Gustave Carlson are visiting Sgt. Carlson’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Anton Carlson of rural Mandan, and with Mr. and Mrs. Al Petrasek of Mandan. Sgt. Carlson is stationed in California; Mrs. Carlson is making her home in Tacoma, Wash.

“Tony Kautzman is stationed in North Africa with the armed forces. In a letter to the Daily Pioneer, he writes that it’s very hot there, and that there are a lot of Arabs. He writes that he is getting along fine.

“John R. Williams Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. J.R. Russell, and Dale Simons, son of Mr. and Mrs. Nick Simons, will receive their basic training in the U.S. Navy at Farragut, Idaho. They were inducted into the Navy Tuesday.

“Pvt. Arthur Suchy, Portland, Ore., son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Suchy Sr., of St. Anthony, is currently stationed at Camp Abbot, Ore. Mrs. Suchy, the former Esther Smith, will remain at their home in Portland, where she is employed as a marine machinist at the Oregon Shipbuilding Corp. Both are former Mandan residents.

100 Years Ago–1918

“Word has been received of the death of 20-year old 2nd Lt. Quentin Roosevelt, youngest son of former President and Mrs. Theodore (Edith) Roosevelt. Inspired by his father and siblings, he joined the United States Army Air Service in 1917 and became a pursuit pilot. He was shot down during aerial combat over occupied France while returning on patrol and was buried by German aviators with military honors.

“Reports from Cannonball country say that immense prairie fires, covering more than 40 miles, have been destroying valuable hay lands in the vicinity of Louse and Dog Tooth creeks. In the evening, residents can see the glowing, orange horizon in the southwest.”

“John Belohlavek, a farmer living near Schmidt, brought in his four-year old boy to the Mandan Hospital on Monday with one of his legs almost amputated. The father was in the field cutting barley when the little boy, who was playing in the field, ran in front of the binder and before the father could stop the team, the boy’s leg was badly lacerated. Unless complications set in, there are hopes of saving the leg.

“All girls wishing to register for the nurse’s reserve are asked to report at the Commercial club rooms from 2:30 to 6 p.m. on Monday and Tuesday. There will be a nurse present each afternoon to talk to the girls.

“Matt Weigel Jr., formerly of St. Anthony, who has been in the service at Camp Lewis, arrived home last night on a 30-day furlough, granted to help harvest crops. His parents did not know he was coming, so his return was a complete surprise. Young Matt says he likes army life and will be glad to go back.”

125 Years Ago–1893

“On Thurs., Aug. 17, at 2:30 p.m., the thermometer recorded 81 degrees above zero.

“A sizzard, by some considered the hottest of the season, prevailed all day on Sunday. To get a cool spot in town was well nigh impossible until eventide, and then, as usual, light wraps were not uncomfortable. The beauty of a North Dakota summer lies in the delightfully cool evenings.

“A beautiful display of the northern lights was visible on Sunday night. Their unusual brilliance attracted considerable attention. At times, great pillars of bright white light formed, extending clear across the northern sky from the horizon to the zenith. Late in the night, the lights reformed in rich, red banks and pillars of light. The rapid movement of the lights elicited many expressions of wonderment.

“During feeding time at the jail on Tuesday evening, a prisoner, charged with stealing a horse and saddle from Krauth & Leutz, took French leave and escaped across the bluffs west of the courthouse. His absence was quickly noted by Deputies Locke and Rafferty, and they at once started in quick pursuit and raised an alarm which was noticed by a citizen driving into town. He saw the fellow and pulled a gun on him, requesting him to stop, which he did. The deputies came up and secured him with handcuffs and then escorted him back to his quarters at the jail. The inmate vows to escape again before the district court meets.”

Get News Alerts delivered directly to you.

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Diane Boit was raised and educated in the Red River Valley before coming to Mandan with her family in 1970. She has been involved with the Bismarck-Mandan newspapers for more than 30 years. She can be reached at dboit46@gmail.com.