25 Years Ago-1993

Country and blues bands, plus roughly 5,500 music lovers, sweated it out Sunday in humidity-soaked 87-degree weather for the third annual Zoo Fest held at the Georgia Borden farm near Marina Bay. Although neon shorts, tank tops and cold beverages helped stave off the heat, the crowd was there to hear the Powerhouse Blues Band, Last Chance Band, the new Nashville recording artist, Kris Kuester, from Williston, and the lead band, Sawyer Brown, which stirred up a roar of approval with its closing rendition of “The Race is On.”

Vendors were smiling, too, as Boy Scout Troop No. 2’s booth sold more than 600 bratwursts and 40 cases of soda. Some estimated 500 cases of beer were also sold. Zoo Fest organizer Deb Jaeger helped coordinate the backstage lineups and the 160 volunteers. After expenses, organizers estimate $18,000 will be donated to the Dakota Zoo

Myron Jacobson, of Mandan, was the top North Dakota finisher at the Mariner Power Bait Western Pro-Am fishing tournament, held on Lake Oahe at Pierre, S.D. He netted more than 60 pounds of walleye in the three-day tourney that featured 102 touring pros. That was good enough for eighth place and a check for $3,100.

Keenan Miller, also of Mandan, finished 12th. His reward was $3,400, including the Cool Under Pressure Award. Miller jumped up 68 places from his first-day efforts to his final weigh-in of 57.10 pounds.

Funerals this week:

Jacob Bohl, 70, Seattle. Was one of 13 children raised on their parents’ 640-acre farm near Flasher. Married Ida Ressler, Mandan. Survivors include seven children and their families, six sisters, one brother.

Philip Maier, 102, New Salem; raised, educated at Hannover. Married Anna Henke in 1918. Did custom threshing for 27 years. Served on numerous county, civic, community, business and church boards. He and his wife were chosen king and queen of the New Salem Centennial in 1983. New Salem’s City Council proclaimed Sept. 24, 1990, as “Philip Maier Day.” Survivors include two sons, two daughters and their families.

Temperatures recorded Tuesday, Aug. 31: a high of 70 degrees; 45 degrees for the low.

50 Years Ago-1968

The largest derby crowd ever gathered at Mandan’s rodeo grounds attended the third annual Mandan Jaycees Demolition Derby Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. According to Ed Ereth, general chairman and a derby driver, more than 3,000 attended the preliminary competition on Saturday night, with nearly 6,000 attending Sunday’s performance, for a total attendance of 9,000. More than 75 cars were entered in the bang-up competition.

After two days, the final car still driving belonged to Chuck Holzer, of Bismarck, sponsored by Chuck’s Gulf. He won the $25 cash prize, along with the championship trophy, plus $10 for winning Heat No. 1 on Sunday, along with other prizes for having the “best paint job.” The Powder Puff event winner was Carlyn Locke, of Mandan; she was sponsored by PV Lumber, Mandan.

A group of little girls, sponsored by Marv’s Hardware, have won the Mandan Kiwanis Girls League inter-city softball championship. Receiving winner’s ribbons were Wanda Zahn, Diane Huber, Susan Phillips, Bonnie Richau, Charlene Umpleby, Kelly Graves, Roberta Weber, Charlotte Monzelowsky, Pat Keller and team captain Marilyn Haider

Funeral services were held this week at Mandan’s First Lutheran Church for Emil W. Block, 80. Born in Poland, he arrived in the United States, settling in Mandan in 1910. He married Minnie Yunck in 1915. He was a life member of the Mandan Elks and a member of the ZCBJ Lodge No. 46. He was a tailor, retiring in 1953. Survivors include one son, William C. Block; one daughter, Mrs. Walter (Mary) Holtey; and one brother of West Berlin, Germany.

75 Years Ago-1943

A nationwide rationing of new domestic heating and cooking stoves that burn coal, wood, oil or gas began Aug. 24, according to the Office of Price Administration. The action assures the limited number of new stoves will go to users in most need. Consumers wanting a rationed stove must obtain a certificate from their local OPA board.

Chief of Police Archie Brunelle, with the Mandan force since 1935, has resigned his position to accept a policing job in the local Northern Pacific railyards. Brunelle served as chief of police for the past two years, following Jim Buckley’s resignation. No successor has been named. Members of the force will alternate as acting chief.

Armed Forces news:

“Col. Robert Pitzer, who was stationed at Fort Ord, Calif., has arrived safely overseas, according to a message received by Mrs. Pitzer, who is making her home in St. Anthony for the duration.

“Pfc. George F. Wenger, stationed at Fort Benning, Ga., was promoted to corporal after returning from a 10-day furlough visit with his mother and other relatives at St. Anthony.

“Pvt. Robert McCormick, Fort Knox, Ky., has completed his basic training preparatory to combat duty with an armored unit. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. W.H. McCormick Sr., Mandan.

“Cpl. Frank J. Wetch has returned to Fort Jackson, S.C., following a visit with parents Mr. and Mrs. Philip Wetch.

“Pfc. Chaske Wicks, son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Wicks, Cannon Ball, is with the Signal Corps of the U.S. Marines somewhere in the South Pacific. He enlisted in the Marines nine months ago from Kansas, where he was attending the Haskell Institute.

“Ernest P. Barth, son of Mr. and Mrs. Philip Barth, Mandan, has completed a technical course in Los Angeles, Calif., and is now stationed in Texas with the Air Corps. The Barths have two other sons in the service — Peter, somewhere in the Pacific, and Jack in Texas.”

100 Years Ago-1918

“Born this week to Mr. and Mrs. John Mushik Jr., a son.

“Mrs. Mike Barth and baby daughter left the hospital today for her home in St. Anthony.

“After using a Ford car of the ‘1492’ vintage for many years, the State Reform School has been finally supplied with a new car — a 1917 Studebaker, much to the gratification of Supt. Devine.

“Another case of infantile paralysis has been reported to the health office by Dr. Aylen, the victim being Lester Thalman, a young boy living on the hill just west of the courthouse. The house has been placarded, warning people to keep away from the quarantined area.

“Martin Kupper, the 15-year-old son of Martin Kupper Sr., of the Harmon country, died at the local hospital this morning, following a serious accident late yesterday afternoon. The boy was discing on the farm, when the team of horses he was driving, took fright at something, and ran away. The disc struck a rock and, in some way, the boy’s leg was caught and completely cut off. Medical aid was summoned but the boy died at the hospital from loss of blood. Services will be held tomorrow morning from St. Joseph’s church.”

125 Years Ago-1893

“On Thurs., Aug. 31, at 2:30 p.m., the thermometer recorded 87 degrees above zero.

“The fall term of the Sweet Briar school begins next Monday, with Miss Hawkshaw of this city as teacher.

“The ‘hard winter’ predictor is strolling around town and seems to be more pessimistic than ever.

“Street Commissioner Johnson says a sharp stick may be needed for some who are still delinquent with payments of the poll tax which is used for the repair of county roads.

“It turns out that the artesian well contractors have not properly finished their work, and Mayor McDougal has had to put men to work to fix up the pipe so that a cap could be put on it. The cost will be charged to the Gray Bros.

“Letters from Bismarck which arrived in Mandan on Tuesday, Aug. 28, were postmarked ‘Aug. 29, 8 p.m.’ Bismarckers had better curb Postmaster Hunt or he’ll be having Thanksgiving here before the turkeys are ready.

“Bishop Walker was in the city on Saturday evening on his way east from a missionary visit to the Indians at Cannon Ball. He arrived there by boat on Thursday morning. During his stay, he preached three times, confirmed 10, baptized 10 children, officiated at nuptials of three Indian couples and buried one old Indian who happened to die while he was there. It was a most interesting visit, he said.

“A number of young people arranged a picnic at Fort Lincoln on Saturday under the chaperonage of Mrs. Geo. Bingenheimer but, on account of threatening weather, the picnic was held on the courthouse hill. In the early evening and later, the picnickers enjoyed themselves with croquet and other games.”

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Diane Boit was raised and educated in the Red River Valley before coming to Mandan with her family in 1970. She has been involved with the Bismarck-Mandan newspapers for more than 30 years. She can be reached at dboit46@gmail.com.