OK, let's talk about the weather again. Last week started out pretty nice, on Tuesday the temperature hit 70, so we took an evening pontoon cruise. It was a splendid evening only interrupted by the dread of the next five-day forecast promising anywhere from 8 to 24 inches of snow. Like most folks I take such forecasts into account but have been both disappointed and satisfied when I’ve relied on their accuracy.

My neighbor Jim and I, the only two left out here along Fisherman’s Way, decided that we’d ride out the storm at our lake abodes. My family in town said it was OK as long as I had my pills and favorite teddy bear. Since Jim is stuck here until his plane ticket to Mesa comes up in November, we both have been quite good at checking in with each other around 5 p.m. and we figured this might be an adventure worth pursuing.

This is where both my loyal readers have questioned my sanity in the past so hang on. Anyway, we adjourned to the man cave to discuss our situation. We perused our inventories and needed some supplies so a trip to Glen Ullin was in order. We took care of this Wednesday morning when the rain was underway. We hit the Cenex, Super Valu, and NAPA before heading back to the lake to discuss what else needed to be done to ensure our survival.

I have a pot belly stove, so I made sure there was some dry wood available in case the electricity went out. I checked the water supply, sealed up the cabin, and checked the outside fridge; made sure the four-wheeler started, found enough winter gear to choke a horse, and tossed another quilt on the bed. I went to bed wondering what the morning would bring.

Thursday I woke up early and turned on the outside light to see if it had snowed, and by dawn I’d have to say there was well over 4 inches on the ground. The poor trees still had leaves on them and the snow stuck on them so hard that most of them were drooping under the strain.

At this point there was nothing else I could do so I went back to bed. Then Jim showed up for coffee and after we compared notes he departed and I went back to bed, then got up had lunch and took an afternoon nap.

Thursday stormed all day so neither of us spent any more time outside than we had to. My truck was parked under a chokecherry bush and its branches slumped over the cab. In order for me to open the driver’s door, I had to move a branch causing the entire bush to dump its load of snow on me. I can’t repeat the words that gushed out of me here.

Friday the snow ceased and the 50 mph winds took over creating all sorts of huge drifts that had to be negotiated. Jim was undaunted and rode his four-wheeler over for coffee and then he spent the rest of the morning bucking drifts while touring the neighborhood.

About 3 p.m. my son showed up with his new snowmobile, the sun came out, and we could hear him buzzing around the area. Whenever he whizzed by us at speeds we seniors are no longer interested in attaining he’d smile.

So we made it through the first snowmageddon of the year and for the record most of us were hoping that winter would wait until winter is supposed to get here. But then again there ain’t much we can do about such events other than complain about our weather. That’s what I once again did here. Maybe next week I’ll find something else to complain about. Until then, stay warm.

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Dan Ulmer is a parent, grandparent, as well as a retired teacher, counselor, politician, lobbyist, public employee, nonprofit executive and opinionated citizen who believes that we need to do what we can to leave the world better off than we found it.