Try 1 month for 99¢

1968: Mandan High School homecoming queen candidates front from left, Vicki Kary and Lola Salmonson; and back, Sharon Boehm, Marsha Ressler and Pattie Marshall.

25 Years Ago-1993

Jeremy Schmidt and Cody Hohbein have been crowned this year’s homecoming king and queen at Mandan High School. Their parents are Harold and Vickie Schmidt and Allen and Lynn Hohbein, all of Mandan. Members of the king’s court are Dan Clouston, Preston Fleck, Jason Gange and Nathan Gerhardt. The queen’s attendants are Amy Fleck, Mandy Glasser, Tessa Johnson and Rachel Voge.

This year’s homecoming football game was against the Century Patriots, regarded as an “average” team that the Braves, under coach Tom Stebner, could possibly defeat, bringing an end to nine years of losses. Mandan’s last victory occurred in 1983, when the Braves, coached by Bill Coghlan, defeated Minot, 20-18.

Unfortunately, the jinx must continue as the Patriots spoiled still another homecoming for Mandan, 28-14. Century is also responsible for a previous defeat during the past 10 years, a 45-0 drubbing that occurred in 1985.

Funerals this week:

Anna (Bickel) Heid, 97, New Salem; raised, educated in Blue Grass area. Married Alfred Heid in 1923 and farmed north of New Salem. Was a member of Peace United Church, New Salem, and Women’s Guild. Survivors include one daughter, one daughter-in-law, one sister-in-law and their families.

Alice (Kleih) Starck, 94, New Salem; raised, educated in New Salem area. Married Nathaniel “Tony” Starck in 1921. Farmed in Judson and New Salem areas. Moved to Bismarck in 1964, returning to New Salem in 1985. Survivors include two sons, two daughters and their families.

Rudolph “Rudy” Redmann, 69, New Salem; raised, educated in Blue Grass area. Worked as laborer in New Salem area for many years. Never married. Survivors include one niece and several cousins.

Anton J. Moser, 85, Mandan; raised, educated at Mandan. Married Margaret Anderst in 1930. Worked for Mandan Taxi Co. and for Lincoln Oakes Nursery, retiring as foreman in 1973. Survivors include his wife, one son, three daughters and their families.

*     *     *

Temperatures recorded Tuesday, Oct. 5: a high of 60 degrees; 38 degrees for the low.

50 Years Ago-1968

Mandan High School staged its annual homecoming celebration on Oct. 4, beginning with a parade down Main Street, led by the high school band, followed by colorful floats representing each class. The procession also featured queen Pattie Marshall and her attendants, Vicki Kary, Sharon Boehm, Marsha Ressler and Lola Salmonson, riding upon three convertibles furnished by Pete Jensen and faculty members Miss Thomas and Mr. Enge. After the parade, students gathered at the school gymnasium for a pep rally, followed by the annual tug of war between classes. This year’s winner was the senior class, with the sophomores taking second place.

Homecoming activities continued with the evening’s football game against the St. Mary’s Saints and the official crowning of the homecoming queen for 1968. During the halftime break, queen Pattie and her attendants were escorted to the stage by Greg Danz, Bruce Lohstreter and Gordon Stein, all Student Council members.

After receiving the crown from Kelley Lundstrom, the 5-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jim Lundstrom, faculty member James Coats officially crowned Pattie Marshall as the 1968 homecoming queen. Pattie is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Marshall of Mandan.

Mandan High also put a glistening cap on this year’s homecoming celebration with a 20-6 victory over the St. Mary’s Saints. Mandan quarterback Tom Assel made several successful passes to Len Stanley and Jim Syvrud that resulted in three touchdowns; the extra points were kicked in by Jim Gronowski.

75 Years Ago-1943

John Mushik, acting president of the Mandan City Commission, has called attention to city’s curfew, in effect since Sept. 20, whereby all persons under 16 years of age must be off the streets, on their way home or accompanied by their parents or guardians at 10 p.m. The curfew will be strictly enforced by the police.

Earl Vredenburg has been appointed chief of police of the Mandan police force by the Mandan city commissioners. He succeeds Archie Brunelle, who resigned last August to accept a position with the Northern Pacific railroad company. Vredenburg has been with the police force since July 1941.

Armed Forces news:

“Cpl. James Hansen, Fort Leavenworth, Kan., is on leave and visiting with friends in Mandan. Prior to his induction into the Army, he was employed as pharmacist at the Mandan Drug Store.

“William F. McClelland, son of Mr. and Mrs. W.F. McClelland, Mandan, has completed his basic training at the Merced Army air field, with class 43-J. Cadet McClelland will go for advanced instruction to Yuma, Ariz., where he will receive his wings and become an officer in the U.S. Army air forces.

“Second Lt. Peter J. Hoffman, son of Mr. and Mrs. G.P. Hoffman, has been awarded the Silver Star for gallantry in action in Sicily. He also received the Purple Heart for wounds received in the battle. Hoffman left Mandan with the National Guard in March, 1941.

“Leo Ereth, 19, who is on Navy leave, has been visiting with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Anton Ereth of Mandan. He is a coxswain, a third-class petty officer, and wears a service badge of three stars — a silver star representing five battles and two bronze stars, each marking one engagement. He has been through seven major battles and has come through unscathed although he stuck to his station through six bomb hits. Ereth was on the U.S. Enterprise when it received the presidential unit citation.

“Mrs. A.F. Eberle of Mandan has received a V-letter from her brother, Technician 3c Florian Goldmann, who arrived in North Africa on Sept. 9. He writes that he’s feeling right at home in Africa, especially since they are eating potatoes grown near Grafton, N.D. Goldmann’s brother, Paul, of the U.S. Navy, was reported missing in action some months ago.”

100 Years Ago-1918

“Pius Zueger has turned over $13 to the Red Cross, the proceeds from one acre of his land which went six and a half bushels. Mr. Zueger, so far as known, is the first farmer in the county to make return on his acre pledge.

“The War Relics train, which made an afternoon stop at the Mandan Depot, drew a huge crowd, some say the biggest crowd ever in memory. Before the doors opened, the Navy’s Jackies band played for an hour, but the boys were badly crippled as their conductor and five others were confined to their beds in the Pullman car with the Spanish influenza, which has attacked the camp at the Great Lakes Naval Station, near Chicago.

“Inside, the public viewed hundreds of war trophies captured from the Germans, including guns, bayonets, helmets and uniforms — many had been damaged in battle. Upon exiting the museum, people heard speeches from injured solders who asked for donations to the Fourth Liberty Loan drive to ‘help our boys beat the Huns.’”

125 Years Ago-1893

“On Thursday, Oct. 5, at 2:30 p.m., the thermometer recorded 56 degrees above zero.

“The touch of cold weather we have had during the past week is simply the forerunner of that delightful season of the year known as Indian summer.

“Wild ducks and geese are congregating a month earlier than in former years. It is looked upon by some as an indication of a bad winter ahead.

“The Heart River, which only a few months ago, was so full that it swept away bridges, houses and property galore, is now dry enough to plow.

“A few days ago, the U.S. Senate took enough time out of their schedule to confirm Mr. P.W. McGillic as postmaster of Mandan.

“At next week’s regular meeting of the Board of Education, president … will introduce the question of naming the public schools of Mandan. Mr. … is of the opinion that the city schools have now reached the point where they are worthy the dignity of a name.”

Subscribe to Breaking News

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Diane Boit was raised and educated in the Red River Valley before coming to Mandan with her family in 1970. She has been involved with the Bismarck-Mandan newspapers for more than 30 years. She can be reached at