Dates to remember
Saturday: Parents Forever, Mandan, 8:30 a.m.
Monday: Spring Garden Forum: Vegetables, Morton County Courthouse, Mandan, 6:30 p.m.
April 5: Wear Blue Day
April is a big month for the Parent and Family Resource Center as it is Child Abuse Prevention Month. This year’s theme is “Do more of what you love to create #greatchildhoods.”
During April, we team up with several agencies and partners across the region to offer activities, events and resources geared toward creating healthy and great childhoods for the children in our communities. I think everyone agrees that all children deserve great childhoods. That begins by supporting families and caregivers as they are raising children. Think about the families you encounter in your own life. Are there ways you could offer some support or be a part of building a healthy community for that child? Perhaps it is making a meal for a neighbor family, baby-sitting for a friend or family member so they can get a much needed break, or finding a place to volunteer regularly within your community.
Prevent Child Abuse America (www.preventchildabuse.org) offers Parenting Tips blogs and information on its website and Facebook page. Some recent topics include talking to children about bullying, the importance of skin-to-skin contact with infants, and finding structure and routine during school breaks. If you are searching for a local resource or a material you can pick up, contact me at the Parent and Family Resource Center, 701-667-3342 or Liz.Larson@ndsu.edu.
Here are some events and programs in this region.
• April 1-5: Resource Fair at Kidder County Courthouse, Steele, 7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Families can find support and browse several resources to take home. Use the annex doors.
• April 5: Wear Blue Day to bring awareness to Child Abuse Prevention Month. Take a photo with co-workers, friends or family and post to social media with the hashtags #greatchildhoods and #wearbluedayND. Throughout the day, follow on Facebook @NDSUExtensionPFRCRegion7.
• April 6: Family Day Make & Take, 11 a.m.-2 p.m., Bismarck Public Library. Free event for the family, with activities, crafts, story time with Miss Sparkles, kid yoga and parent resources. No registration needed.
• April 8, 15 and 22: Active Parenting Now series for parents/caregivers of school-age children, 6-7:30 p.m. at Flasher Public School. Register at 701-667-3342 or online at www.tinyurl.com/region7prc.
• April 13: Caring for Children, The First Five Years, 9 a.m.-2:15 p.m., Linton. This free program is for parents/caregivers of children ages birth to 5. ND Growing Futures credit hours for child care providers available. Register with Emmons County NDSU Extension, 701-254-4811.
For more information on these events, call 701-667-3342 or email Liz.Larson@ndsu.edu.