Diane Boit: Pfenning radio repair shop reopens, 1944

Diane Boit: Pfenning radio repair shop reopens, 1944


25 Years Ago – 1994

The Mandan girls swim team, coached by Ralph Manley, took third place for the second consecutive year at the state swimming meet held at Grand Forks. Mandan, neck and neck with the Williston Coyotes throughout the tourney, relied on a sixth-place finish in the final event -- the 400 freestyle -- to score 223.5 points, capturing third place; the Coyotes took fourth with 222 points. Linn Little was named to the honorable mention, All-State Team.

Two players from the Mandan Braves girls basketball team have been named to All-State honors. Jaye Amundson, a 5-foot-10 sophomore, was named to the first team, while 6-foot-1 junior Jolene Gartner earned a spot on the second team. Amundson averaged 13 points per game, was a 42% shooter from the field and 70% from the free throw line. Gartner averaged 11.3 points per game, shot 48% from the field and 62% at the charity stripe. Mandan finished the season with third place honors in the state tournament and a 23-2 record.

Temps recorded Tuesday, Nov. 22: a high of 37 degrees; 15 degrees for the low.

50 Years Ago – 1969

Dennis Schmidt, son of Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Schmidt of Mandan, will be marching and playing his trumpet in the big, colorful Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade as a member of the 1969 McDonald’s All American High School Band. All 50 states are represented in the band, which will also march again in the Tournament of Roses parade on New Year’s Day in Pasadena, Calif. Dennis’s name was submitted by MHS band director, Ernest Borr.

Mr. and Mrs. Lyle Dawson Sr., of Flasher have received award certificates for their combined total of 45 years of leadership in 4-H work. Mr. Dawson has served for 30 years and Mrs. Dawson, 15 years. Mrs. Matt Tokach was also honored for 25 years of 4-H service.

Joe Eisenhauer has been elected grand knight of the Mandan Knights of Columbus Council No. 6186. Other new officers are: Henry Schlosser, deputy grand knight; Dick Schmidt, chancellor; Julius Beehler, warden; Tom Weigel, advocate; Lloyd Gillis, recorder; and Ed Steinbrueck, treasurer.

In Monday night amateur basketball action, Bill’s Super Valu trampled the NP Lunchroom, 86-55, while the Silver Clipper Barber Shop squeaked by Deluxe Barber Shop, 40-36. In the first game, Bill’s was led by Doyle Nygaard and Pat Brunnelle, both with 21 points. For the NP, top scorers were Jim Janke, 23, and Tom Yantzer, 14. In the last game of the evening, Dale Belden took top point honors with 20 for the Clippers; Broque Peake led the Deluxe team with 19.

A country boy who became the leader of the world’s mightiest army and then president of the United States was honored this past week with the issuance of a stamp bearing his portrait. Ceremonies took place at Abilene, Kansas, at the Eisenhower Center which includes the Presidential Library, the boyhood home and the final resting place of Dwight D. Eisenhower. The framed 6-cent stamp was presented by Postmaster General Winton M. Blount.

75 Years Ago – 1944

Reopening of the Pfenning Radio and Repair shop, which has been closed for more than two years, was announced this past week by H. C. Pfenning. The shop is located in the east end of the Co-op building on First Street N.W. Pfenning went to the Pacific Coast from Mandan and was employed for two years in the Navy’s radio laboratory on Mare Island at San Francisco, where he worked with many of the latest models of radios used in the war. His work also included the Navy’s radio and radar devices which are still considered top secret.

News from the Armed Forces:

“Approximately 1,500 North Dakota men are serving in the Marine Corps in the war and of that number, nine have won recognition for their outstanding bravery. Of these, one is from Morton County. He is Lt. Clarence J. Schauss of Mandan, winner of the Bronze Star medal. The list did not include holders of the Purple Heart.

“Cadet Ken Clouston has returned to San Antonio, Texas, after spending a 15-day leave in Mandan with his wife and relations. He will continue as an instructor to air students until he continues his pilot’s training. Prior to going to San Antonio, Cadet Clouston was in the African theater of war where he served with AAF and completed 35 missions over Sicily, Italy and other European points. He wears the Air Medal and five Oak Leaf Clusters.

“Mr. and Mrs. Frank Barth, Rt. 1, Mandan, have received word from their son, John A. Barth, that he was recently promoted to Sergeant. Sgt. Barth has been in the army air corps since February 1942 and has been stationed somewhere in India since July 1943.

“T-4 Joseph R. Feth, son of Mrs. Anton Feth, Mandan, has been awarded the Purple Heart by direction of the president of the United States. The award is for wounds received in action at Normandy, while serving with 188th Field Artillery.”

100 Years Ago – 1919

“Captain A. B. Welch returned on Saturday from Camp Dodge, Iowa, where he was honorably discharged from the service.

“Carrie, the 5-month-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Stasney, died a week ago at their home, southwest of Mandan. The funeral was held from the home, internment taking place by in nearby St. John’s cemetery.

“H. J. Tavis has secured the agency in Mandan territory for the Dodge car and expects to open a salesroom in the central part of the city in a short time.

“Miss Rose Rambur of the Williams Confectionary store was pleasantly surprised last evening at the Philip Neibauer home on Sixth Ave. S.W. by a number of friends at a kitchen shower. Miss Rambur is to be married to William Lanz at the end of this month.

“Carl Winbauer, manager of the Mandan Heating and Plumbing co., who last month lost his building to a fire, has rented the basement of the Storey building on Main Street and is currently moving their offices into that place.

“George Fleck, well-known farmer of the St. Anthony district, has completed the purchase of one-half section of land, just north of Breien, from Olaf Olson. The land brought nearly $40 to the acre and is a high price for land in this section.

“Major R. F. Rice, better known perhaps as Dr. Rice of Solen, arrived this past week from Camp Dix, New Jersey, where he has just been mustered out of service. He returned to the United States on the George Washington, the President’s ship. Dr. Rice entered the service in August 1917 and was commissioned a Major this past March. After spending a few days in visiting with old friends, he is returning to Solen to take up his practice.”

125 Years Ago– 1894

“On Thursday, Nov. 22, at 2:30 p.m., the thermometer recorded 35 degrees above zero.

“Next Thursday is Thanksgiving Day.

“An aerometer has been placed on the roof of the InterOcean hotel for the purpose of conveying water to the upper floors.

“Farmers are doing a good business in hauling coal, some of which is very good quality and finds ready sale at $2.25 a ton.

“The parties who have been helping themselves to Fort Lincoln property of late, have been indicted at Grand Forks by the U. S. Grand Jury. It is probably that at the March term of court, to be held in Bismarck, these cases will be tried. The Eastern newspapers have been lurid with descriptions of the work that the settlers have done at the Fort, and pictures have been given of an entire community hauling off entire buildings during the night.

“A large force of men is at work, laying pipes across Main street to connect the new water mains with the Northern Pacific water supply. The new mains are expected to be ready for any emergency within a day or two.

“On Thanksgiving night, Nov. 29, there will be a Grand Masquerade ball at the Town Hall at New Salem, to which everyone is invited. Tickets, $1 each, may be obtained from Mr. John Bloodgood and his committee.

“Mr. and Mrs. Theo Feland of Sims wish to express their sincere thanks for the kind services of their friends and neighbors during their recent bereavement. The Felands lost their only son, 2-year-old Oscar, in an accident in their home. Mrs. Feland was at her regular housework, requiring warm water, and placed a pail of boiling water on the floor while going outside to fetch a pail of cold well water. While out of the house, the toddler fell into the pail and was terribly scalded, dying the following day. Services at Sims were conducted by Rev. Gaustad of New Salem.”

Diane Boit was raised and educated in the Red River Valley before coming to Mandan with her family in 1970. She has been involved with the Bismarck-Mandan newspapers for more than 30 years. She can be reached at dboit46@gmail.com.


Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News