{{featured_button_text}}

A Mandan man who police allege sexually assaulted a woman in his home in September under the guise of offering her a ride to see her mother will go to trial in February.

Kelly Haugen, 53, entered not guilty pleas Monday to charges of felony gross sexual imposition and misdemeanor unlawful imprisonment.

The woman told police she believed she had been drugged and did not recall the ride to the home but gave a description of it and its location, said Mandan Police Detective Matthew Graves, who testified at Haugen’s preliminary hearing. She told police she thought she came to as someone was trying to take her to a basement, and she gave a description of the garage from which she escaped as the door was closing. She said Haugen was speaking to someone on his cellphone as she fled, telling the person on the other end that she was getting away. Graves said the woman told police she didn’t recall having sex but “felt she had been violated.”

Haugen’s attorney, Lloyd Suhr, asked South Central District Judge Daniel Borgen to dismiss the charges against his client because the state hadn’t produced any evidence beyond the victim’s “obviously flawed memory.” Her description of the house was inaccurate, no evidence of the call was found on Haugen’s cellphone, and there was no evidence that Haugen drugged her drink or ever had that opportunity, he said.

Borgen refused to dismiss the case and scheduled a two-day trial starting Feb. 25, 2020. The state hadn’t shown any force or drugs were involved in the alleged incident, he said, but there was still sufficient evidence to show the woman didn't know what was going on.

Haugen in October posted 10% of a $100,000 cash bond.

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Reach Travis Svihovec at 701-250-8260 or Travis.Svihovec@bismarcktribune.com

0
0
0
0
0