Bismarck's Josh Lusby (13) carries the puck up the ice as teammate Lukas Millen (20) and Aberdeen's Trystan Isenhour trail during Friday's NAHL game at the VFW Sports Center.


Apparently hockey can be a little bit like making sausage. The process may not be pretty, but the results can be satisfying.

The Bismarck Bobcats didn’t make coach and general manager Layne Sedevie a particularly happy man on Friday night. Nonetheless, but they left the VFW Sports Center with a 3-2 overtime NAHL victory over a tenacious Aberdeen team.

The victory was the sixth for the Bobcats in their last seven games. Aberdeen lost for the second time in five games. Bismarck returns to its home ice again tonight, playing host to NAHL foe Brookings at 7:15 p.m.

Sedevie didn’t sound like the winning coach after the Bobcats gave up two one-goal leads to Aberdeen before fishing out a victory in overtime.

“It seemed like we were off. … We’d put together a good 20 minutes and then back off. But,” he added, “we found a way to win. That’s the positive thing tonight. We fould a way to get two points.”

Austin Junger, a 20-year-old forward, came to the rescue in five-minute, 3-on-3 overtime after Aberdeen knotted the game at 2-2 in the closing minutes of the third period.

Junger got two chances at netting the game-winner.

“(Jared) Resseguie made a nice pass coming out of the zone … and I tried to put (a shot) on net. It went off one of their player’s shin guards and came back to me and I found a way,” Junger said.

Junger said winning in overtime has a positive and a negative.

“There’s nothing more exciting, but at the same time we gave a divisional opponent a point,” he noted.

Sedevie wasn’t pleased with the recipe the Bobcats used to cook up their seventh victory of the season.

“I know it’s early in the year, but we have to learn from our mistakes … our work ethic and the way we turned the puck over,” Sedevie observed.

Aberdeen sent the game into overtime with 3:19 to play on a blast from the blue line by Trystan Isenhour. Bobcats goalie Will Ulrich slowed the puck down, but it trickled past him into the net for a 2-2 standoff.

Following a scoreless first period, the Bobcats took the lead just 35 seconds into the second period on a power-play rebound goal by Parker Mismash.

The Wings countered 13 minutes later as Dennis Bernhardtz flipped the puck past Ulrich after taking a nifty pass from Riley Murphy behind the net.

It appeared the Bobcats has a 2-1 win when Matt Barry scored on a high shot from the slot at 14:43 of the third period. It took Aberdeen less than two minutes to respond on Isenhour’s goal, however, and the game went into overtime.

Bismarck improved to 7-4-0 with the victory. Aberdeen slipped to 4-6-1 with the setback.


Sports Reporter