Dr. Marlin John Elof Johnson was born in Bristow, Neb., on November 11, 1922, to John W. and Esther (Lantz) Johnson, a farming family, the second youngest of seven children. After high school, he went on to attend North Park College in Chicago, then to the University of Nebraska in 1943 to medical school while serving in the Armed Forces, and graduated in May of 1945. On July 15, 1945, Marlin married Peggy (Lois) Pearson, who he had first laid eyes on when he was seven years old and decided right then that he would marry her. Marlin was on active duty with the Army Air Corps while he was finishing up his internship in Omaha, Neb. In 1946, he was stationed at the Salinas, KS Air Force Station Hospital. In 1948, he was transferred to the Kelly Field Air Base in San Antonio, Texas, and then returned to Omaha in 1949 to complete his residency in internal medicine and served in the Nebraska National Guard until he took a position at the Bismarck Quain and Ramstad Clinic in 1951.