Three injured in I-94 crash, teenagers in vehicle rollover identified

2011-11-06T23:47:00Z 2011-11-07T15:32:44Z Three injured in I-94 crash, teenagers in vehicle rollover identified Bismarck Tribune
November 06, 2011 11:47 pm

Three people were injured in a two-vehicle collision on eastbound Interstate 94 on Sunday night in Morton County.

At 6:50 p.m., a 1996 Ford Explorer, which was traveling east at 60 mph, struck the rear of a 2008 Chevrolet sedan at mile marker 152.25, the Highway Patrol said in a statement. The sedan then drove into the median between a scenic overlook and the interstate, and crashed into the ditch. The Explorer overturned and righted itself on its wheels. The driver of the Explorer, who was not wearing a seat belt, was ejected during the rollover. The Explorer continued moving east toward the south ditch, as the sedan moved in a northeasterly direction from the south ditch. Both vehicles sideswiped each other in a second impact. The driver and passenger in the sedan were both injured. They had been wearing seat belts.

All three accident victims were taken to St. Alexius Medical Center by ambulance.

The Highway Patrol did not identify the drivers or passenger in its statement. The accident remains under investigation.

Four teenage boys injured in a vehicle rollover south of New Salem last week have been identified.

At about 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Matthew Bahm, 17; Karson Henk, 15; Duane Alyea, 16; and Koltan Montieth, 14; were heading west in a ditch paralleling the railroad tracks, off 46th Avenue about one mile southwest of New Salem, according to a release issued by the North Dakota Highway Patrol. The 1986 Toyota 4 Runner struck a dirt embankment and rolled over.

All four teens were injured and were transported to Bismarck hospitals for treatment.

The teens had been wearing seatbelts.

The crash is still under investigation.

Copyright 2015 Bismarck Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

1. faithhope
    faithhope - November 14, 2011 8:32 am
    My brother was the person in the Explorer that rolled over, He continues to fight for his life everyday at St. Alexius. He is still in a coma and had surgery to fix his broken neck and has a skull fracture. Please pray for his recovery and his 2 little girls and baby on the way.
  2. Michael R
    Michael R - November 07, 2011 8:58 pm
    I had a guy a number of years ago stop behind me in the middle of the highway because he didn't realize that he could pass me because he was too busy reading the newspaper.

The complete story tells just how ridiculous this incident was but the tribune staff deleted it. Apparently it was a little to far off topic or something???????? But I bet if someone tried to turn it into a political discussion somehow, it would have stayed up??? Apparently those discussions are NEVER to far off topic. Am I the only one who would appreciate just a tiny bit of consistency on these forums????
  3. antibullyblogger
    antibullyblogger - November 07, 2011 6:08 pm
    Pains me to say this, but Michael R is spot on.
  4. Michael R
    Michael R - November 07, 2011 1:17 pm
    cotlod said: "The two biggest problems I see on the interstate are the idiots who drive half a car length behind you when you're going 65mph. They're oblivious to the fact that you might have to stop suddenly and this will cause a chain reaction. The other is the self important people who won't change lanes to let you onto the interstate from an on ramp."

I agree - I HATE the people who try to "push" you to go faster but won't change lanes to pass you - I have no idea what the thought process is behind that. I had a semi do that to me Friday near Jamestown. I didn't dare even let my foot off the gas or he would have rear ended me. It turned out OK though because I ended up having a REALLY long talk with the company he was driving for. And on the same day I saw a guy driving through downtown Jamestown reading a book. I watched this guy go from shoulder to shoulder having numerous near misses on both sides of him and run a red light, but he wasn't going to put that book down for anything. I think the biggest thing about drivers these days is that they are getting stupid. Common sense isn't even a factor anymore.
  5. cotlod
    cotlod - November 07, 2011 12:11 pm
  6. dennypenny
    dennypenny - November 07, 2011 11:01 am
    I drove through this area at about 5:30 p.m. last night and there actually was a police car in the median between the four lane highway right around where the speed limit changes. He was probably monitoring the area from the previous accident which happened there on Friday night I beleive. The heavy wind gusts might have been a contributing factor as it was quite hard to stay on the road with the bursts of wind. I saw multiple cars struggling with staying on the road.
  7. aceinthehole
    aceinthehole - November 07, 2011 11:00 am
    Driving too slow on the interstate is just as dangerous as driving too fast..... Hope everybody pulls thru
  8. angry1
    angry1 - November 07, 2011 10:54 am
    My sister in law was in the vehicle which was hit. She saw the vehicle approaching quickly in her mirror so she was trying to pull over when he slammed into her. I am not sure about the male who hit her but she and her mother are ok but sore. Thank you all
  9. wonderwoman
    wonderwoman - November 07, 2011 10:06 am
    I hope all involved in this accident are ok. Vehicles can be replaced, people cannot. Please pay attention!!!! I cannot begin to tell you the number of times this has almost happened to me. Going east, the speed limit changes at the top of the hill right there by seven seas people, not down past the exit. Pay attention. Even heasding west, people are already doing 75 before they reach the top of the hill. It seems like once they pass the Sunset exit, they floor it. Wish the highway patrol would watch this area better.
  10. BernieJR
    BernieJR - November 07, 2011 9:04 am
    Passed this on my way home.... Both Vehicles where HEAVILY damaged... the driver of the explorer must have been flying or the person in the car locked up the breaks cause the cars rearend was pretty much in the back seat... My thoughts a prayers go out to the people involved in this horrendous accident

Bismarck delays new fire hall for engines, burn building

Bismarck delays new fire hall for engines, burn building

As an unprecedented growth spurt in Bismarck is putting pressure on firefighters' response times, city commissioners are delaying building a m…

5 hours ago Photos

Photos

Playing in the street: Slide the City

Thousands of Bismarck and Mandan residents donned their swimming attire and ignored Mother's time-old warning of not playing in the street on …

16 hours ago

Summer heat to continue into early September

Summer heat to continue into early September

Residents of the Bismarck-Mandan area won't have to say goodbye to above-average temperatures just yet, National Weather Service meteorologist…

August 28, 2015 5:15 pm

Warrant issued for Ramada Inn robbery suspect

A Grand Forks man has been charged in connection with the Aug. 24 robbery at the Ramada Bismarck.

August 28, 2015 2:15 pm

Taxi driver charged with assaulting fare

Taxi driver charged with assaulting fare

A taxi driver is accused of sexually assaulting a 17-year-old girl that he was driving home.

August 28, 2015 12:30 pm

Community experts rule to be signed by governor

Community experts rule to be signed by governor

The governor could sign off — as early as today — on allowing community experts to temporarily fill vacant teaching positions.

August 28, 2015 11:51 am