A rural church north of both Mott and Burt in Hettinger County has been named to the National Register of Historic Places.
Neuberg Congregational Church, deep in the rural countryside and about 25 miles from any town, was started in 1898 to serve as the religious and community center for Germans-from-Russia settlers in the area.
The white clapboard church there now was built in 1925.
The church is significant for the way it demonstrates how settlers in southwestern North Dakota used the building as a community focus and a place for passing on ethnic traditions.
The William E. Metzger House in Portal, built by a prominent banker and politician in 1905, also was added to the register. It is an example of the Queen Anne architectural style. It is asymmetrical in facade and plan, with intricate details.
The National Register of Historic Places is the federal government's list of properties it considers worthy of preservation and recognition.
The listing does not prevent owners from altering their property, restrict the use or sale of the property or require that the property must be open to the public. Entry into the National Register of Historic Places does give a property prestige, provide protection from federally assisted projects and provide eligibility for certain preservation financial incentives.