Robert Decker started as the new principal planner for the city of Mandan on Monday. He was hired at an annual salary of $72,000 per year.
He earned a bachelor’s degree in engineering from Antioch College and a master’s degree in city and regional planning from Ohio State University.
He was a charter member of the American Planning Association and the American Institute of Certified Planners.
He also is a registered professional engineer.
His experience includes managing new development and operation and maintenance of utility infrastructure.
Decker's duties will include:
- Evaluates, files, schedules, and maintains records, including plats, annexations, and zone changes.
- Assists customers with questions and concerns; provides information related to engineering or planning.
- Represent the department in the absence of the Planning Director at Planning and Zoning meetings.
- Develop and design plans, specifications and estimates for city water and stormwater systems.
- Schedules Planning and Zoning Commission meetings; prepares agendas.
- Interprets and acts on information received such as long- and short-range master plans for land use and street locations.
- Creates and maintains records of ordinances and resolutions pertaining to planning.
- Prepare planning-related maps and data for meetings, other departments, and the public.
- Evaluates stormwater site protection plans.