Students charged in Mandan lockdown

2014-05-05T18:56:00Z Students charged in Mandan lockdownBy HANNAH JOHNSON | Bismarck Tribune Bismarck Tribune

Both boys taken into custody for the Mandan High School lockdown Friday have been charged and the 18-year-old appeared in court Monday.

The older of the two, Todd Miller, is charged with Class C felony accomplice to reckless endangerment, Class C felony accomplice to terrorizing, Class A misdemeanor carrying a concealed firearm and Class A misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia.

The 16-year-old, also taken into custody, will be cited in juvenile court for carrying a concealed weapon, terrorizing and reckless endangerment, said Mandan Police Lt. Lori Flaten.

Mandan High School went into lockdown Friday when police were notified about a gun at the school. In court Monday, South Central District Judge Cynthia Feland said that Miller allegedly gave a gun to an individual who then showed it to others.

Miller was found with a small caliber revolver, loaded with one round of ammo, at the bottom of his right pant leg, according to the charges filed Monday.

He also was found with a smoking device that contained residue of marijuana, Feland said.

Miller said in court that the gun was not loaded, but Feland cut him off, saying she did not want him to talk about the case, but just to understand what the charges against him were.

His bond was set at $10,000 and he is required to stay 1,000 feet from Mandan High School and to have no contact with the school.

Miller also must participate in random drug tests or go through the drug patch program through Morton county.

Assistant State’s Attorney Gabrielle Goter told Feland that Mandan Principal Mark Andresen said Miller would be expelled.

Mandan Superintendent Mike Bitz said it is up to Andresen to start the expulsion process with the two students. Bitz was appointed by the Mandan School Board on Monday to be the suspension-expulsion hearing officer, under district policy.

This year, the district has been reviewing its safety policies with a committee of representatives from each school. Bitz said the group will consider feedback from staff about Friday’s lockdown. Overall, he said, the district was just happy no one was hurt and the incident was resolved quickly.

“The police department just did a fantastic job,” he said. “The administration did a fantastic job.”

The date for Miller’s preliminary hearing has not been set.

Reach Hannah Johnson at 701-250-8251 or

Copyright 2015 Bismarck Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Featured Ads

View All Ads