012618-nws-mcdonalds.jpg

Due to an early morning fire on Thursday, the McDonald's restaurant on Miriam Avenue in northeast Bismarck will be closed.

Bismarck firefighters responded after 1 a.m. Thursday to a fire at the McDonald's location on the 4000 block of Miriam Avenue.

The city reported that no one was inside at the time of the blaze, which was in the kitchen. The Bismarck Fire Department ruled the fire's cause as accidental.

"Our guys found fire in the kitchen area, but specifically with the deep fryers for French fries, et cetera, fried food," Bismarck Fire Marshal Owen Fitzsimmons said.

The kitchen reportedly sustained fire and heat damage with smoke damage throughout the building.

Owner Denny Sotebeer said there are some pieces of equipment that will need to be replaced, which will take at least four or five days to be delivered. The store will remain closed until then.

A restoration crew is also being brought in to clean up from the smoke damage.

"This store is kind of out in the boonies," said Sotebeer, adding it was luck that someone passing by saw a light inside and called emergency responders.

He said the fire department was able to respond within 10 minutes and the fire was contained in a vat.

Fourteen firefighters and five apparatuses responded, with Bismarck Police and Metro Area Ambulance assisting on scene.

Reach Jack Dura at 701-250-8225 or jack.dura@bismarcktribune.com.

2
4
5
5
3

Crime and Courts Reporter