Camp Hancock will be the site of a dedication for a a newly installed, ground-mounted flagpole at 2 p.m. Saturday.
The public is invited to the dedication at Camp Hancock, located on Main Avenue between North Second Street and North Third Street, in downtown Bismarck.
Originally built in 1872 as an infantry post located in Bismarck’s downtown core area, Camp Hancock had a ground-mounted flagpole that was once a notable feature of the site. Years ago, the original flagpole was removed and the U.S. flag has since flown from a flagpole attached to the site’s only remaining original building, which now serves as a museum.
The late Myron Atkinson, son of a pioneer Bismarck family, and a strong promoter of the old military post, along with his wife, Marjory, sponsored and promoted several improvement projects at the site in recent years. The latest improvement was the restoration of the ground-mounted flagpole.
Four local veterans’ organizations, the American Legion, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the AMVETS and the Disabled American Veterans also contributed funds to the project.