A dog alerted its owner to an attic fire early Thursday morning in Bismarck.
The occupant of the home at 2526 E. Ave. B reported a fire in the attic at 3:21 a.m., according to a statement from the Bismarck Fire Department.
The man said his dog was barking about an hour earlier, and he discovered the power was out on the main floor. The resident talked to the owner of the home, and they decided they would fix the issue in the morning.
An hour later, the dog started barking again, and the resident heard a loud “bang.” He noticed that the access door to the attic had blown out, and there was fire in the attic.
The resident alerted the other occupants of the home, sprayed a dry chemical extinguisher in the area of the fire, evacuated the home and called 911.
Firefighters encountered light smoke in the house and found a small fire smoldering in the attic. The crew put out the fire with a water extinguisher.
No injuries were reported, and damage was estimated at $10,000. The source of the fire was determined to be related to electrical wiring in the attic.
The Bismarck Fire Department asks that people make sure they have fully functioning smoke detectors throughout their homes.