A N.D. ‘Scream Queen’: Century High grad on VH1 reality program

2010-08-02T01:45:00Z A N.D. ‘Scream Queen’: Century High grad on VH1 reality programBy KAY KEMMET Bismarck Tribune Bismarck Tribune
August 02, 2010 1:45 am  •

Screaming on the job generally isn’t your ticket to the top.

But for Gabby West, a 2003 Century High School graduate, it may just be a career-making move.

West is a contestant on the second season of VH1’s “Scream Queens.” The show seeks to find the best undiscovered actress for the next film in the “Saw” saga, “Saw 3-D.”

“I think (“Scream Queens”) made me realize that acting is absolutely what I want to do with my life,” West said.

The show premieres tonight with West competing against nine other aspiring actresses.

In each episode, eight per season, the women take classes on new techniques before using these skills in a screen test. The show is basically “America’s Next Top Model” for actresses, West said.

“It basically was just an ongoing process of, like, who was constantly on their toes, who had the talent and who was willing to go the distance,” West said.

Three years ago, West had never acted. But after one semester at North Dakota State University as an English Literature major and a year at a university in Bozeman, Mont., West moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career in acting.

“I literally woke up one day and knew that I needed to move to L.A. and become an actress,” West said.

West attended CHS for her entire high school career. But during her childhood, she attended 13 different schools and her family moved constantly, which kept her from pursuing acting.

“It was something I had always wanted to do, but I moved so much that I didn’t have enough self-confidence to do it,” West said.

After three years in Hollywood, West landed her spot, out of 36,000 hopefuls, on “Scream Queens.”

Shortly before West was chosen for the show, she’d hit her financial rock bottom.

“It just got, like, down to the wire for me,” West said. “There is a lot of struggling that is involved with acting until you really hit it big.”

At that time, West said she was working as a hotel waitress and couldn’t afford anything but food. She was forced to move in with her parents in New Mexico. While she was on her break from Los Angeles, she saw a casting call for “Scream Queens” and went for it.

While on “Scream Queens,” West shared a bedroom and one bathroom with the nine other actresses. She said they were really set apart from the outside world and there was a lot of drama. But for West, the opportunity was worth the additional stress.

“I really felt like ‘Scream Queens,’ at the time, was very make-it-or-break-it,” West said “When I first got there, I was very scared, but I knew that I needed to open up.”

While on the show, West worked with Hollywood directors and coaches and attended the 2010 Comic Con festival.

“It was a really amazing education,” West said. “It was like something you can’t buy. ‘Scream Queens’ was a pretty unforgettable experience that will continue to help me.”

Since being on the show, West has booked a part in the remake of the 1985 movie “Fright Night.” She also has hired a manager and entertainment lawyer and is looking for an agent.

As for the outcome of “Scream Queens,” only time will tell. The show airs at 9 p.m. on Monday nights on VH1.

“The thing about acting is that even though you may be playing a different character, it is a way for you to see yourself really clearly,” West said. “(Acting) is really in my blood and a calling for me.”

(Reach reporter Kay Kemmet at kay.kemmet@bismarcktribune.com or 250-2860.)

Copyright 2015 Bismarck Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

1. Vultron
    Vultron - August 06, 2010 2:11 pm
    LOL the Saw movies are NOT making it in Hollywood. Critics hate them and you need critics to like you before you can make it anywhere. No offense but she is NOT an actress.
  2. sammyhain
    sammyhain - August 02, 2010 7:41 pm
    nick f of bis said: "Slow news day?"

I think it's a nice human interest story that was worthy of being printed in the paper.
  3. nick f of bis
    nick f of bis - August 02, 2010 7:27 pm
    Slow news day?
  4. NoDakLib
    NoDakLib - August 02, 2010 11:22 am
    Best of luck to you Gabby! What an exciting opportunity!
  5. C Dog
    C Dog - August 02, 2010 8:55 am
    Nine women sharing one bathroom?

Yeah, I'd say there was some drama involved.

Good luck!
  6. Not to be used
    Not to be used - August 02, 2010 8:55 am
    Oh The Boss would know, he is ever so worldly.

Good luck Ms. West. Enjoy the journey, the journey is the most important part of life.
  7. Jaycee
    Jaycee - August 02, 2010 8:05 am
    Good Luck Gabby! I think it's cool you're following your dream.
  8. The Boss
    The Boss - August 02, 2010 3:04 am
    It Hollywood... If you want to make it big - and be famous - you have to take your clothes off!

Watford City woman charged after firing handgun

A Watford City woman is in custody after allegedly firing a handgun during a domestic dispute early Friday morning. New

8 minutes ago

Palermo man faces second GSI count

Palermo man faces second GSI count

A Palermo man in custody in Bismarck on a gross sexual imposition charge is facing a second charge. New

23 minutes ago

Former chancellor withdraws from search

Former chancellor withdraws from search

Robert Potts, a former chancellor of the North Dakota University System, has withdrawn his application to become the new chancellor one day af… New

1 hour ago

Teacher licensing board to consider action against Baesler, Tschosik

Teacher licensing board to consider action against Baesler, Tschosik

State Superintendent of Public Instruction Kirsten Baesler and her former fiance Todd Tschosik, a teacher, will appear on the agenda of an upc… Updated: 2:29 pm

2 hours ago

Mandan man faces second GSI charge

Mandan man faces second GSI charge

A Mandan man in custody at Morton County Correctional Center on one sexual assault charge has now received a second, unrelated charge. Updated: 1:06 pm

3 hours ago

Exhibit features art from recycled materials

Exhibit features art from recycled materials

A new exhibit opening today at the Bismarck Downtown Artist Co-op challenges artists to set aside their paint brushes and create something new… Updated: 2:28 pm

4 hours ago