Former governor's mansion 1897

North Dakota's governor's mansion as it looked in the winter of 1897. Governor Frank Briggs is in the foreground.

The house was built on the prairie of what was then the north side of Bismarck by businessman Asa Fisher in 1884.

In 1893, the Legislature appropriated $6,000 "to purchase or erect a suitable residence for the Chief Executive of the State, and to furnish the same."

Of the $6,000 appropriation, $5,000 was used to purchase the house in May of 1893 and the remaining $1,000 was used to furnish it.